Thursday, June 13, 2013

Working Hard in Lecco

June 12, 2013 

Well to describe the transfer here in Lecco it’s a little like this. As you know we’re are really big here on 20 lessons, because the European Area Presidency has declared a promise that all missionaries who teach 20 lessons double their baptisms. Well during the winter the mission, as a whole lost that focus a little bit and we did not get even close to reaching that on average. But now that summer is here more people are out and about and well you just naturally teach a lot more than winter. Winter is pretty tough, but anyway, the week I got to Lecco they taught 21 lessons and rightly so, we had 2 baptims this transfer. And then we just hit rock bottom. From 20 to nothing because we baptized 2, dropped 3, and lost 1, and then we had 3 people not answering the phone and disappeared off the face of the earth. Oh man that was hard. To go from teaching that many lessons to nothing was rough. And of course I have never tasted of the 20 lesson week in my mission, I think I came the closest with Anziano Smith.  I’m probably one of the only ones to not reach this goal and to be rather honest, well I got mad a little because you bet I work hard. You bet I’m obedient. I come from the charge of President Manwaring and well, you don’t get slouchy missionaries from him and It was rather disappointing because for the life of me I could not figure out why everyone else in the mission could reach 20 lessons and I could not! I know many who are not obedient as they should be and they are baptizing strong members and have a day packed full of lessons! What’s with that? So I set out to find out what was stopping us. Well with a lot of prayer and self evaluation and study, it came down to the fact that I didn’t think I could. I really didn’t honestly believe that I could get 20 lessons because it seemed like one of those things that are so far into the distance that only the good cities get, and only the miracle cities get, and that’s just not Busto, Siena, or Lecco. Well I was wrong. If the miracles that Jesus did are true then it should be a snap to get 20 lessons with some faith, obedience, hard work, good planning, and goals. Took me one year to figure that out unfortunately, but I got in figured out. We are hoonin ( as they say in Australia) here in Lecco now! I pulled myself out of the pit and we are getting keen (also Australian terms) on 15 lessons first and then we will be on the road to 20.
 
We are doing great and I think to help me accomplish this task the Lord is sending me a stud of a comp.
His name is Anziano Davis! I already know him and he is in the group above me,. We will have 2 old missionaries out here harvesting the streets of Lecco. He’s super obedient and is a calm focused missionary. I knew him from the MTC, and he was my district leader in Busto for a while, so we have already worked together.  I have a feeling that this transfer is going to be awesome. I’m really excited! Anziano Ramey was an awesome companion as well and he taught me a lot and got me started on good goals and having some ambition which prepared us to do great on this next transfer. Anziano Ramey is off to Genova and so is Anziano Johnson, they are actually new companions in Genova together hahaha. How funny. No need to meet your new comp he’s already here! But Anziano Murphey my Australian buddy is training. Tomorrow we will have our new comps.

Well I don’t want to get you hyped up to much so if I fail then I look super cocky, haha but I will put my trust in the Lord on this one and I’m pretty set on this because I don’t have a lot of time left in the mission and I don’t want to have any regrets and well, I have some making up to do. I hope to get it done.


Elder Benson

No comments:

Post a Comment